Barstools are expensive, very expensive. Who knew? I sure didn’t! So when I saw that Ana had pinned this vintage style barstool, I very generously offered to build them for her Aren’t I so nice? Haha!
Her inspiration stool had a vintage, chippy finish, and I wanted to do something similar. I made mine a lot “chippier” than the original, and I’m not quite sold on them yet. They kind of remind me of pinto ponies. But they’re growing on me.
I wanted them to look like I had just stumbled on them in somebody’s old barn, waiting for me to come along and rescue them. For the most part I’m happy with the finish, though I may take my sander back to them and work off a little more paint. Perhaps if I hadn’t chosen two such contrasting colors it wouldn’t be such a hard sell. Considering they only set me back $20 each, I wasn’t too afraid to experiment on them. Considering what you can buy for $20 in the store, this is a massive upgrade!
What sold me on this design were all the details. I love the ladder backs, and the decorative insets on the legs. I used the Kreg quite a bit, and you can see my plugs if you look closely enough. These are solid as a rock, even though two have a slight wobble I’ll have to cure with furniture pads They fit in quite nicely with my other Ana pieces.
This open living space features a Farmhouse Table, Rustic Bench, Apothecary Coffee Table, $5 Gallery, and now some Vintage Barstools. That’s quite a few handbuilt pieces! I think I’m a certifiable buildaholic.
These stools took a much longer time to build than anything I’ve done lately, and I’m not exactly sure why. The cutting was quick, as was pre-drilling pocket holes with my Kreg jig. It took a bit longer to put them together since I typically don’t spend this much time measuring and placing my pieces. Despite all the extra effort, I still have two stools that wobble. I’ve heard chairs are the hardest things to build because of that, so I don’t feel horribly bad. Plus the finishing took quite a few steps, from filling the pocket holes with plugs, sanding, staining, smearing vaseline everywhere, painting a layer of red, then two layers of white, more sanding and then a topcoat of glaze really ate up the naptimes! I started these on Sunday and just now finished them up. Whew! But they were worth it.
Especially since the inspiration stools were a whopping $345 EACH! Um, yeah. I’ll take the effort over the cash any day of the week. I plan to write up a finishing tutorial for my chippy look, just in case somebody else loves how these look (and I have to admit, the more I look at them the more they grow on me). Now to throw a party and put them to good use!